Ptarmigan

a grouse with completely feathered feet

4/11/2005

So my wife will laugh at this, and she has every right to, since I've said "I'm done!" with this long poem more than a couple times in the past. And then after a couple of weeks the poem would keep...growing. But this is it. The Stations is at last done. 117 pages of a speculative poem, done. Well, I'm done with the first draft at least, the shape it's going to take for the most part. (OK, so that's hedging my bets a little? But the 2nd draft is one of consolidation/revision, rather than slapping words onto pages). It took me a while to figure out, and then fill in, the structure. 27 poem-ish "stations" and 9 prose-ish "voyages." So here is the TOC (for now!!!) of the different sections:


I Station of Particula

II Jackal-Insect Cosmological Research Station

III Mysterious Station

1 A Brief, Compensatory Voyage

IV Venison’s Logos Station

V Treasure Tower Station

VI Station of Welfare’s Winch

2 Voyage (No Fuel Until Instant Wakes from Repose)

VII Or Ore Fetch Station

VIII Walleye Station

IX Station of Euphonic Kites (Simulation)

3 Voyage Inside a Cave Painting Depicting a Giant Elk Shoved Off an Asteroid

X Punt Esau Station

XI Station of the Greavemaker

XII Open-Aired Station Resembling an Advanced Touch-Type Institute

XIII Station of the Eighteen Fortresses

4 Voyage through Dead Project Pressures

XIV Modest Subterranean Station

XV Station of Imaginary Civilians

XVI Oolong Jayhawk Station

5 Voyage (Best Nomad Wins)

XVII Station of Friendly Confines

XVIII StationCon (Home of the Nightly “Dance of the Werewolf”)

6 Pointless Voyage

XIX poststation

XX Instant Aspirant Breakdown Station

XXI Gnomic Avalanche Station

7 Voyage (Feverfew Trade Route)

XXII Station of the Untoward River Jongleurs

XXIII ? Station

XXIV Smelly Station

8 Ruined Convoy Voyage

XXV Launched Half-Mammal Station Preserve

XXVI Shameless Station

9 Aphoria Rout Voyage

XXVII Plaindwelling Station to the Lector’s Left; or, a Jewel

________________

So, I think I'm going to take a...breather with this one for awhile. Maybe I'll post a section or two of the more-or-less finished pieces on the blog? At some point?

4 Comments:

At 4/12/2005 09:30:00 AM, Blogger Jason Erik Lundberg said...

Congratulations on finishing, Alan!

 
At 4/12/2005 11:13:00 AM, Blogger Clayton A. Couch said...

Indeed! 117 pages? You're a braver man than I. If you don't have anyone clammering for sections of this one, send a few to sidereality in May. Best wishes, Clayton

 
At 4/13/2005 07:12:00 AM, Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Sweetness! Send it to me!

 
At 4/15/2005 11:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say this story is beautiful A story about completed poetry.

This reminds me of one of the walks we took while you were here and she was giving me the thoughts on your ideas on poetry. Have things changed.

Anyway, I think I understand your asthetic more now than ever.

Anyway, my thoughts are the same as the other posters. Send it along. Or publish it and sell it to us or somthing.

Sincerely,

Fred

 

Post a Comment

<< Home