Ptarmigan

a grouse with completely feathered feet

4/15/2005

I've been reading The Etched City by KJ Bishop at long last--and while I'm not nearly finished with it, I really love it so far. It also does some really cool things from an aesthetic standpoint that I was talking about in this post a little while back. (Mild spoilers ahead, I guess.). In a way, the book is an anti-Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. (Disclaimer: I love those stories too!) What seems like the beginnings of a "buddy" novel is anything but, as Raule and Gwynn split up and only occasionally cross paths in the town of Ashamoil. But, while that might not happen a lot in fantasy novels, it happens in real life all the time. E.g., like the best high-school buddies who go to college together, thinking it will be the best 4 years evar, who even room together, who after 3 months are barely speaking to each other. The Etched City so far (who knows, they might reunite) is a gentle deconstruction of expectations of what a fantasy novel should be and do. It willingly goes off the tracks into deeper territory.

1 Comments:

At 4/17/2005 03:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog is making me feel stupider and stupider. I don't get it. Kind of like going to neuro journal club where these brainiacs talk about brains. Damn, I don't know which end is up when I'm in there.

I used to be upset when this happened. Then happy and reassured. Now there are no ideas at all.

I do enjoy the posts, they are like an ocean of ideas that I can see, and respect, but I dare not put my toe in there lest the sea sweep me away and I wind up in a giant fish.

Anway, not surprising to get a self-involved post from someone who is living in a self-absorbed culture. My mind feels runny like a sunrise nacho platter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home