Ptarmigan

a grouse with completely feathered feet

8/17/2004

Abulafia

From Abraham Abulafia (1240-1291?):

And vowel-points were set into the letters to demonstrate the vibration of pronunciation in their translation from the book to the mouth. Thus the vibrations are essentially the letters of the mouth, and accidentally, the letters in the book. And joined to this by necessity with the places of the various vibrations, for nothing will vibrate without place and time.


I almost never read my work out loud when I'm composing it. I'm thinking it might be worth it to read aloud more.

What is the point in history when people learned to read silently?

1 Comments:

At 8/17/2004 09:18:00 AM, Blogger Stuart Greenhouse said...

I don't know the real, social-history answer, but I do remember that there is a legend that the first person to read silently was St. Ambrose, fifth century a.d. John Barth, if I remember correctly, chose the protagonist's name for his (fantastically worthwhile) short story "Lost in the Funhouse" based on this legend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home